Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:52:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Smelly Pooh <blokey@indigo.ie>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports

Hi,

(moved to -ports)

> I've noticed that as I'm constantly syncing my /usr/ports directory
> and upgrading programs, the old packages stay there.  If I pkg_delete
> them and there's an unchanged file that exists in both the update and
> the original then tat gets deleted too.  Any way of cleanly removing
> old packages?  Incidentally are the ports trees for all the FreeBSD
> releases the same one?

try pkg_delete on the old ones first, then install the latest greatest
version

If you are using CVSup to track the ports with the "." tag (since that's
all the ports support) then yes you have the latest ports, BUT support for
the 2.2* branch will fade as time goes on.  It's hard to get many of the
ports to compile for both 2.2.* and 3.* or 4.* so the ports will now be
made to work for the new -STABLE branch.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"Bart, a woman is like a beer.  They look good, they smell good,
 and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!"
						Homer Simpson