Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 17:47:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      gt7522b@prism.gatech.edu (Chad Anthony Lord)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD on a system with an EIDE adapter

Ok heres the story
   I had FreeBSD running on my system:
   486DX2 66 16MB RAM  AMI BIOS (~1992)
   no name VESA IDE adapter with a WD 250MB drive

   I added a new EIDE adapter - Promise 2300+
  and a MAXTOR 850AV hard drive

  I can no longer get freebsd to install on either
  the MAXTOR or the smaller WD.

  The installation boots off floppy and detects the drives
  MAXTOR 1654 CYL 16 HEADS 63 SECTORS
  WD     1010 CYL 9 HEADS ? SECTORS
  (sorry I'm doing this from memory)

  Towards the end it says its resizing "d" from 1665216 to 1667232

  I'm not sure but I think this has something to do with the # of sectors
 on the maxtor the first # gives 1652 cylinders and the second 1654 IF
 YOU divide out the # of heads and sectors.

  anyway it goes forwards and does everything off the boot floppy, but
  when I try to reboot from the hard disk ( either disk I've tried installing
  on both) it gives me the boot prompt about specifing where the kernel is
  and what switches to use, but when I try to boot it locks up.
  The rotating bar comes up but never starts rotating.  I think it
  is looking for the kernel and cannot find it.

  Anyway any help would be appreciated.  It was my understanding that
  FreeBSD would work with EIDE but didn't support any of the new features.
  I therfore figured it would work with my smaller disk which shouldn't need
  cylinder translation.  I do however have LBA translation turned on on
  my EIDE card's BIOS.
  BTW Will FreeBSD R2.1 support EIDE?

  Chad Lord
  gt7522b@prism.gatech.edu