Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 08:16:11 +0500 (KGT)
From:      CyberPsychotic <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>
To:        Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ownership funnies.

> (assuming 'touch foo' is creating 'foo'; i.e. it doesn't already exist...)
>
> Check the group ownership of the directories in which you are creating 'foo'.

yep.. there's another weird thing which happens:
before user user1 logs in, I do
chown -R user1.user1 /home/user1
when user1 logs in, permittions are changed to user1.user2.
I checked sources for login and getty, all chown calls they do, are for
ttys. what does it then? (checked also profiles, bash_login, and bashrc
file.. nothing).

> >From 'man open':
>
>      When a new file is created it is given the group of the directory which
>      contains it.

oops.. so the problem is what does change g-owner for homedir  then.

> This suprised me too - not the way I was used to (from System V).

Linux is probbably closer to sys-v here also. (what I used to work with)

thanks for hints.