Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:29:43 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vat on sb16?

On Jul 10, Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com> wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo:
>  |> Regarding the SB16 full-duplex issue, (yes I'm an e-mail pack-rat :-),
>  |...
>  |> Would one or the other of these two be practical to implement in our sound
>  |> drivers?  The latter sounds like it might be completely transparent to the
>  |why one should do that since mss cards (based on the OPTi931, or
>  |some other AD1884-type codec) are sold for US$30 here (that's
>  |including 19% VAT!) and they support full duplex.
>
> Well, its the most common class of card out there.  I wonder how many users
> would switch over (or start off with) FreeBSD for doing their Internet
> phone and audio conferencing (Speak Freely, vat, etc.) if we supported
> their hardware in full-duplex.  I could be wrong, but I think SB16+ owners
> are currently locked into MS Windoze for this; if I were them, I'd sure be
> looking for a way out :-)  So, an opportunity to win over more users.

I have access to a few low-end sound cards, and I had
little luck with them under FreeBSD (but then I only
wanted to play with ISA PnP, and at little more than
$15, I didn't those cards to actually work :)

> It'd be a nice feature for the existing user base too, if it isn't
> technically impractical.

There once was a posting that indicated patches to cards
based on the Opti chips, which fixed the probe and made
them work more smoothly. I once had one of my cards running
well enough (worked great with raplayer, until I made it
run under rtprio to listen to some radio program during
a large compile and had the system lock up solid :), but
after building a kernel without sound support, I never
succeeded in driving that sound card anymore :(

I really think we should try to fix the current sound drivers,
no matter hwo antiquated they are. We loose customers, else,
and I for one, would also prefer to play with multimedia
tools ...

Regards, STefan