Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2012 15:46:59 +0200
From:      "Tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
To:        Hooman Fazaeli <hoomanfazaeli@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on packet filter using in and out interfaces

Il 19/07/2012 18:51, Hooman Fazaeli ha scritto:

> On 7/19/2012 7:54 PM, Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
>>
>> Which is the real situation? Does really Packet Filter has any
>> security advantage having only 'in' rules, or there is no difference
>> on using out interface instead of in interface?
>>
>> All start from consideration that using out interfaces would semplify
>> a lot management of complex environments, with interfaces dedicated to
>> different customers (one OUT rule on specific interface instead of
>> several IN rules on all other interfaces).
>>

> - Regardless of type, a firewall must be able to perform filtering on
> both IN and OUT directions.
> For instance, consider a firewall acting as IPSec gateway. The traffic
> comes IN encrypted. Here, you
> have the chance to filter traffic based on external tunnel addresses.
> Then the firewall
> decrypts the traffic, and forward it to the Internet. Here you have the
> opportunity
> to filter based on internal packet headers and plain text content.
>
> - IN may be preferred if a specific set of packets can be blocked on
> both IN and OUT.
> All the CPU cycles allocated to forwarding is wasted if you postpone
> blocking
> until packets reach to OUT level. This, for instance, makes firewall less
> tolerant to DoS attacks.

I'd love not a theoric answer, but a practical answer based on how PF works.

In PF manual, I read all rules contained in rules file are evaluated all
together, so it looks like PF does not make a real difference about IN
our OUT, but just it follows the order in which rules are listed in
configuration file.

Is that true?

If PF follows the order of rules as listed in configuration file, there
is no difference about using a IN or OUT rule, as the evaluation is done
in the same phase for all.

If, instead, IN and OUT rules are evaluated in different phases, than I
miss somethink in manuals...

Regards,

Tonino

         Inter@zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati