Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:20:15 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads stuff - reality check..

> I'd hate to ruin a good pie-in-the-sky session on the design of the killer
> threads system and all, but I kinda wonder if we're aiming too hight to start
> with?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to put the pieces that we already have together and
> make something in time for 4.0 that runs with better concurrency than we
> have now?  ie: perhaps based on Richard's native linuxthreads port?

Last I heard, this work was 'unacceptable' to be added to FreeBSD,
similar to the old 'shared library' implementation work.

Unless we had a N:M threading model, there was a general consensus from
'those in positions of authority' that we shouldn't be using the
'simple' method at all.

I can go dig up the reference if desired.

I agree with you that a 'poor' solution would be better than no
solution.  (However, the poor solution appears to work pretty darn good
given Richard's recent postings on the benchmarks he's seeing...)

Nate