Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:54:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is tcl in base distribution

 * (1) Why is tcl in the base distribution if it is not used?

Beats me.  You can safely remove everything that matches
"/usr/*/*tcl*" and "/usr/share/mann/*/*" though.  Use NOTCL for your
next make world and you will never see tcl in the base system again.

 * (2) Why is the ports-current collection ignoring the version of
 *     tcl installed with the base distribution?

Because the damn thing is so incompatible with itself, and have a lot
of ports depend on each of the versions.

If you want a longer version, I can forward you my 1.6MB archive from
the most recent round of flames.

Satoshi