Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 1995 10:42:37 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Text file busy" with program not running anymore?

>> >Does this mean that the space allocated on disk to those programs will
>> >not be freed until you unmount that disk or reboot?
>>
>>    No, it only means that the space will be consumed until either the file is
>> rm'd or the vnode is pushed out of the cache (or the disk is unmounted -
>> which uncaches all of the associated vnodes).
>
>Luckily, the working set limitations mean that this will probably take
>as effectively long as "until you unmount that disk or reboot".
>
>Isn't that true?

   No, the behavior is controlled by the limit on cached objects (not on the
pages associated with them). I've lost the context of what we're talking about
here. Any file that is currently mapped into a process that is subsequantly
deleted will continue to consume space until all mappers of it have unmapped
it (or in other words, until all references to it have been dropped). This is
the same behavior as you would expect if you had the file open when someone
else deleted it.

-DG