Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:08:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mark Lastdrager <mark@pine.nl>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw not allowing udp?

At Thu, 25 Jan 2001, owner-freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

>I have a line in my firewall config like this:
>
>ipfw add allow udp from any 53 to my.ns.ip.here 53
>
>and was dissappointed to find that when i configured a secondary name server
>to use the primary behind the firewall, it was unable to make the zone
>transfers...
>
>have i missed something big and zone transfers require more than just port
>53?

I think I don't have to repeat that zonetransfers use 53/tcp ;-) What
could be helpful here is to insert a rule before the default deny rule:

ipfw add deny log ip from any to any

This way all denies are being logged so you can see what's wrong.

Mark Lastdrager

--
Pine Internet BV ::  tel. +31-70-3111010 ::  fax. +31-70-3111011
PGP 92BB81D1 fingerprint 0059 7D7B C02B 38D2 A853 2785 8C87 3AF1