Date:      Sat, 04 Apr 1998 06:32:09 +0000
From:      Brandon Stewart <rostewa2@vt.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   isa_dmastart: channel X busy ; isa_dmastart: channel X not acquired

Way back in FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE, my gravis ultrasound worked, with the
following exception. Though the sound was excellent, I would get a
constant stream of kernel messages saying "channel X busy". Starting
with some change made to the kernel sources back in 2.2.5-Stable and on,
I can no longer even get sound from the sound card. Attached are the
dmesg, bootup msgs, and kernel configuration. I did as LINT said,
changing the #defines in sound_config.h. I even tried passing the values
for the read and write channels as well as the IRQ into kernel options.

Any help would really be appreciated.

dmesg (after trying to play an mp3):
.
.
.
isa_dmastart: channel 5 not acquired
isa_dmastart: channel 5 not acquired
isa_dmastart: channel 5 busy
isa_dmastart: channel 5 not acquired
isa_dmastart: channel 5 not acquired
isa_dmastart: channel 5 busy
isa_dmastart: channel 5 not acquired
isa_dmastart: channel 5 not acquired
isa_dmastart: channel 5 busy
.
.
.

kernel configuration:

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           "EFFICIENT"
maxusers        10

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS
#options        FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         "NO_F00F_HACK"
options         "NSWAPDEV=3"
options         "CLK_USE_I586_CALIBRATION"
options         COMPAT_LINUX

config          kernel root on wd0

controller      isa0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector
fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x0 irq 13 vector
npxintr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device          psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12
vector psmintr

# device                sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 4 vector
siointr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 3 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

# This provides support for System V shared memory.
#
options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG

#device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

#See also /sys/i386/conf/LINT.

#To enable sound driver support, the controller sound code must be
included
#in your config file:

# SB = SoundBlaster;  PAS = ProAudioSpectrum;  GUS = Gravis UltraSound
# Controls all sound devices
controller      snd0

# Gravis UltraSound - for GUS, GUS16, GUSMAX
# For cards that use 2 DMA Channels:
#     drq = Write DMA Channel, flags = Read DMA Channel
device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 flags 0x1 vector gusintr

# i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h.  If you change the values here, you

#options "GUS_IRQ=5"
#options "GUS_DMA=5"
#options "GUS_DMA_READ=1"

bootup:

tures=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 25165824 (24576K bytes)

FreeBSD Kernel Configuration Utility - Version 1.1
 Type "help" for help or "visual" to go to the visual
 configuration interface (requires MGA/VGA display or
 serial terminal capable of displaying ANSI graphics).
config> visual
[....garbage....]
avail memory = 22843392 (22308K bytes)
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
ed0 at 0x280-0x29f irq 3 on isa
ed0: address 00:20:18:31:9e:82, type NE2000 (16 bit)
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Conner Peripherals 420MB - CFS420A>
wd0: 406MB (832608 sectors), 826 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <Maxtor 7850 AV>
wd2: 814MB (1667232 sectors), 1654 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
gus0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 flags 0x1 on isa
gus0: <Gravis UltraSound 3.4 (1024k)>