Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:04:24 -0700
From:      Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Base System libobjc

Hi,

I have been playing with GNUstep for a while now, and since CURRENT
switched their base system compiler to 3.4.2 it has always felt
somewhat superfluous to use the gcc-3.3.5 port, as far as i can tell
so far ... for basically only a shared version of libobjc.

I have since been toying around with building GNUstep from GNUstep CVS
instead of ports using my base system compiler and the base system
provided static version of libobjc and so far things are looking sweet
and things are working as expected (installed ffcall from ports and so
far that seems to be only necesarry dependency)

What i am wondering about though is the following. It seems FreeBSD
already provides a static version of libobjc in its base system, which
(i assume) automatically gets updated whenever the base system's
compiler is updated to a newer snapshot/release. What i am wondering
is if there is any specific reason why FreeBSD only provides a static
version of this library, and if that is not the case, what would it
take to make a buildworld provide a shared version of this Objective-C
runtime library ?

With kind regards,
  Pascal Hofstee