Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 21:57:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel driver advice

> >Is there a better/different way of registering the need for an interrupt
> >and *NOT* being an ISA device?  How do the PCI devices grab an
> >interrupt?
>
> No.  The PCI devices just grab an interrupt.  They are initialized
> before ISA devices, so this sort of works.  However, the ISA conflict
> checking doesn't know about resources grabbed by PCI devices.  If an
> ISA probe succeeds, then isa.c attempts to grab the interrupt.  If the
> interrupt is already allocated, then the allocation isn't changed and
> the error code is ignored, leaving the ISA driver unattached from the
> interrupt.

This isn't much of a solution, since it's the current way things are.
The PCIC controller grabs interrupt 3, and when sio1 tries to use it
fails (w/out the user knowing it).

> >Finally, is there a way to request the list of used/unused IRQ's in the
> >system at a point in time?  I'd like to be able to check if a particular
>
> Attempt to allocate all IRQs and put back the ones that you get but don't
> want.

*laugh*

Who keeps track of allocated interrupts?  Would it be possible/useful to
add a 'give me what has already been allocated' kind of function?
Instead of alloc_intr() something obvious like intr_alloced()? *grin*

Nate