Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:00:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@nuxi.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFSv3 seriously broken in 3.1

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, David O'Brien wrote:
>> Why I brought this to stable and why think this is rather important is
>> the following:
>>
>> We had a perfectly stable 2.2.7 system which worked fine with our
>> Solaris 2.6 server for several months. Merely by upgrading to 3.1 and
>> without changing the AMD configuration one bit, the setup broke!
> Can you describe the breakage?
>
> You weren't specifying "nfsv2" in the maps you were using in 2.2.7?

Right. We had two identical FreeBSD 2.2.7 clients (PentiumII) and one
SunOS 4.1.x Server. No nfsv2/nfsv3 or tcp/upd options were specified in
the AMD maps at all.

. Originally, both clients were operating without any problems.
. We upgraded the server to Solaris 2.6. No problems.
. We upgraded one client to FreeBSD 3.1. Out of a sudden, NFS got rather
  slow and regularily we had NFS access hang for some seconds to a couple
  of minutes or even more. No problems with the FreeBSD 2.2.7 machine.
. I added "nfsv2" to the AMD maps. Suddenly the FreeBSD 3.1 machine was
  as fast as it was when running 2.2.7. The behavior of the FreeBSD 2.2.7
  machine remained as fast as it was.

(Please note that our current Ethernet is rather bad and overloaded from a
hardware point of view.)

> If the list truly feels that v2/UDP should be the default rather than
> v3/UDP, I'll glady change it for -STABLE (but not -CURRENT).  I want
> 3.2 to be the most stable OS we can muster up.

Me, too! I strongly suggest making NFSv2/UPD the default for 3.2 (unless
the problems with NFSv3 definitely have been fixed, that is).

Gerald