Date:      Fri, 02 Jul 1999 19:01:20 -0400
From:      Greg Moncreaff <moncrg@bt340707.res.ray.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Don Read <dread@calcasieu.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2, /etc/daily and ppp -auto

I can change "netstat -ir" to "netstat -nir" for one cause,
maybe this could be wrapped in a check if
"/var/run/tunN.pid" exists [from man ppp(8)]
or even better a check to see if ppp was connected if such
a feature exists...

is there anything I can put in /etc/host.conf or /etc/hosts so that It
doesn't have to actually connect to the net for this?

if my hostname is in /etc/hosts and /etc/host.conf says use hosts before
bind what else can I do to tell sendmail that it doesn't need to
connect to the internet?

Don Read wrote:

> On 01-Jul-99 Greg Moncreaff wrote:
> > was noticing that there is a dial attempt in ppp.log at 2 am everyday,
> > which I guess corresponds to /etc/daily and crontab
> >
> > was wondering what in /etc/daily would trigger a dial attempt if
> > I leave ppp in auto mode?
> >

> sendmail (to send you the daily run message) and the netstat -ir
>
> Regards,
> ---
> Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
> EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net
> Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
> -- But I'm in good company, sendmail has kicked a great many
>      butts in the past

-- Disclaimer: "this is my personal opinion and not that of my employer"
R:RSC:C3I:SEL:E3/USA:MA:01752-0388/+1.508.490.2048:fax 2086/42N,71W