Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:28:11 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Detect of BHyve VM was powered off or rebooted?

Hi Craig,

> It seems pointless to me for the user to have to explictly
> destroy the VM.

  We're working on fixing it. What it gave during the development
process (and still gives) is the ability to get post-mortem information
when the bhyve process exits.

> Once the bhyve process exits, I doesn't seem that I can use
> the VM again anyways.  To run the VM again, I seem to need to call:
>    -> bhyvectl to destroy the VM
>    -> bhyveload to load
>    -> bhyve to run the VM

  Yes, that's correct. The future version will be: /usr/sbin/bhyve to
load/run/reboot the VM in a single process.

> Aryeh has pointed out to me that it is the responsibility of the
> user to explictly destroy and tap and bridge devices used by the
> bhyve process after it exits.  Is this right?

  Only if you won't be using them anymore.

> What if I have a  single bridge0 device, and 10 tap devices,
> one per VM?  If one VM exits and needs to be restarted, do
> I need to tear down all the taps and bridge?

  No - leave them there. Think of the tap interfaces as ports on a
switch, and the bhyve processes as being plugged/unplugged from the ports.

later,

Peter.