Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 17:14:45 -0700
From:      rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Finally a Linux with a ports collection

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> rob said on May  8, 2002 at 07:25:18:
> > I installed it last night.  www.gentoo.org.  Looks pretty neat.  It was
> > too late and I haven't had a chance to play with it.  I have  only one
> > complaint so far (and it was probably my own ignorance), installing Vim
> > brought along with it XFree86 4.2, and the Gnome libraries.  Ouch!  A
> > very long compile, but I'll need them anyway.  Rob.
>
> I've been using gentoo for 4-5 months off and on.  I think it has
> plenty of potential.  But if you look through the portage handbook,
> you'll see how to turn off autodependencies on gnome, kde, and other
> stuff you don't want (there's a "USE" variable in /etc/make.conf).
>
> Interesting ideas about gentoo:
>
> 1. Like FreeBSD, you can rebuild the entire base system with one
> command, but unlike FreeBSD the base system is itself a collection of
> ports (because, I guess, that's the way linux is...)
>
> 2. Installing a new version of a port doesn't clobber your old config
> files.  Come to think of it, it doesn't in FreeBSD either in the
> examples I can think of, but I'm not sure what the mechanism is.
>
> 3. Gentoo-style ports don't require the equivalent of a pkg-plist
> file: they first install into some temporary directory, then generate
> the plist there, then merge into the final directory.  This is
> basically the recommended way to generate pkg-plist automatically in
> FreeBSD, but Gentoo's system does it for you at the expense of using
> more disk space.  I liked it because, if I wanted to install a new
> version of a program and the "ebuild" hadn't been updated, I just
> needed to edit the ebuild file to use the new version, et voila it
> worked.
>
> 4.  To upgrade the port, you first "merge" the new version, then
> "unmerge" the old version.  Unmerging looks at mtimes and refuses to
> remove files whose mtimes have changed, so only the useless files from
> the old version would be unmerged.
>
> 5.  You can do the equivalent of "make fetch" which will fetch all the
> source files, not only for your required ebuild, but for its
> dependencies too.  So you could do the downloading at work and the
> compiling at home, for example.
>
> 6. You can do a "pretend" merge of a gentoo port (emerge --pretend)
> which will show you all the ports which would be merged, without
> actually doing it.
>
> I'm pretty impressed with the thoroughness.  Right now it still has
> rough edges (not surprising for a distro that's just reached 1.0) but
> it seems very well thought out on the whole; it's by far my linux of
> choice, though freebsd remains my OS of choice...
>
> Rahul

Thanks Rahul for all the info.  The acid test will be whether Gnome
works right.  On FreeBSD it is perfect as far as I can tell.  On SuSE
7.3, every time I hit the "m" key in any application I got a menu.  Plus
their mailing list used to be fun and helpful, but now seems arrogant.
I guess thats what happens when these Linux companies go public :)  Rob.