Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:28:47 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to tell the kernel to use mfs in loader

> In the loader, set vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/md0c
> (or whatever the memory disk that the install uses is called).
>
> Drew

This worked. Had to do it manually in loader, this value in loader.rc
failed:

	set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"

maybe the quotes were bad. Done directly at the prompt, it worked fine.

Subsequently, ftp ftp://xxx.yyy.aaa.bbb/ failed, after I toasted my
/root so I no longer have the image on the HD, and cannot repeat, and
will now have to do a real install but the instructions above were fine!

the manpage for loader.conf could do with this: it says words which
imply ONLY a stated list of kernel params can be set, when it maybe need
to be set to say "for example the following kernel values can be set..."

And, this specific example is useful because load -t mfs_root is not of
it self adequate to make a loaded kernel use MFS: the vfs.root.mountfrom
is needed as well.

cheers and thanks

	-George

PS are people sure the /stand/sysinstall process can grok IP numbers
direct in embedded FTP url's? I suspect it tried DNS lookup on the address
I used (RFC1918, behind a cable router. I tested ftp to the host and it
worked fine)

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064