Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 07:40:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@mail.double-barrel.be>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Install *actually* friendly

On 05-Aug-98 Michael C. Vergallen wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>

>> On 04-Aug-98 Chris Hill wrote:
>> > I was going to post this anyway, but the recent message from Steve
>> > Roskowski (and its followups) has goaded me into action.
>>
>> Actually I've also considered commenting but until now haven't bothered.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> PC's are being shipped that way!  The particular machine that happened to
>> me on was an Intel, not a machine built by Joe Blow's 'Puter Parts.  I'd
>> already installed FreeBSD on a number of systems and it's my preferred
>> Unix so I was a bit more persistant than the typical user.  Right now that
>> machine has the hard disk and CD on wdc0 and FreeBSD *still* doesn't even
>> see wdc1 (even tho there's nothing on it).  The controllers are built onto
>> the motherboard.
> Probably true but can a writer off documenation be held accountable for
> the wrong way pc's are being assembled by builders ? It may be done that
> way but it is wrong...

You're missing my point.  The average user who's trying FreeBSD for the
first time doesn't know it's wrong.  Furthermore, the computer just booted
to the installation program from CD and is now telling the user that there
is no CD.  It's not just a documentation issue.

Here's what you said:

-----
>No .. I would not like to see this happen for the simple reason that I see
>that most poeple disable the floppy in bios when done installing the
>system. On some off my systems I disable and remove the floppy after
>installation to make shure no clown tampers with the data contained on
>those systems or in event off the systems going down enabling the system
>to reboot itself without having to worry that a floppy might be in the
>drive.
-----

Did you or did you not say that most people disable the floppy?  If what
you're referring to is a security issue, you should also be locking the
computer room door rather than justifying the disabling of the floppy and
documenting it.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow