Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:32:48 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        KOJIMA Hajime <kjm@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: Propolice for gcc-2.95.2

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0011152309070.61473-100000@achilles.silby.com> Mike Silbersack writes:
: One thing I'm unclear on is how propolice affects compatibility between
: modules.  Can I use a libc compiled without propolice and an app compiled
: with it, or vice versa?

It would appear that is the case given that there's a command line
option to turn it on and off on a per module basis.

Some of the protections look interesting, but some of them won't help
too much.  Every little bit helps.

I'd worry about putting this into the base system.  First, I'd worry
about the performance impact of all this extra code in the base
system.  Second, I'd worry about bitrot when we move to new versions
of the source.

Warner