Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:43:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ted Buswell <tbuswell@acadia.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   cheap X terminals

Timely considering the "Ask Slashdot" on ethernet internet appliances:

onsale.com for the past couple of weeks (at least) has been moving used
IBM Netstation's.  I picked one up in an auction for $21.  You can
currently buy them for $50 (they haven't had any for auction for a
couple days now).

The one I got didn't include RAM, but uses 72-pin simms, which
everyone has a stack of.  The model you can buy includes 16MB.

Basically, this unit has: 10Base-T, 1 parallel, 1 serial, 1 PCMCIA,
and includes a (relatively) nice IBM keyboard and mouse.  The video is
low-end with 1MB, but sufficient for many tasks.

The software for the unit is downloadable from IBM (100MB), and after
you get it, it only took me about 2 hours to get it up and running
(DHCP and NFS mounting it's software).

Ignoring the great hack potential of a unit like this, it makes a
great X terminal out of the box: no moving parts == nice and quiet.
It looks like the Xserver portion was bought from NCD.

And to keep this BSD related, the IBM documentation indicates that the
kernel is BSD derived (NetBSD?).  Furthermore, apparently you can do
things with it like enable rshd and lprd so you can start tasks
executing on the unit, and print to a printer attached to it.

If only there were a cheap source for LCD VGA displays...

-Ted