Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:27:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dburr@POBoxes.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: What does this message from Luigi's snd driver mean?

> I am getting the following messages printed to the kernel log, apparently
> coming from Luigi's new sound driver (I updated to the latest version):
>
> FIOASYNC

the FIOASYNC call is unsupported by my driver, but i have never seen an
audio application using it. DO you know which app causes them ?
(and yes, the driver should probably return a failure rather than just
print and assume that it succeeded).

can you tell me which version of the driver are you using (cat
/dev/sndstat if you don't know).

> These messages usually only show up during fairly heavy system load (i.e.
> when I'm doing a lot in X and the system is swapping, and I also have
> timidity playing a MIDI file or am playing a game that uses sound). Maybe
> this has something to do with it?

maybe there are missed interrupts which cause the dma timeout and
following error messages that you see... some cards (e.g. the OPTI931)
seem to have problems with missed interrupts (and the driver implements
some workarounds), but the Vibra16C i have
seems to behave reasonably well...

	cheers
	luigi