Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:03:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: voice information services / voicemail

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Rowan Crowe wrote:
> I guess this isn't strictly ISP related but perhaps ISPs have diversified
> into something like this:
>
> Does anyone have a FreeBSD + voice modem(s) setup which allows basic menus
> (using DTMF) and pre-recorded audio responses?

I know vgetty reputes the ability to do this. I used to use it on my
old Linix (1.2.1!) box with a Cyclades board and it was buggy. A few
months ago our answering machine went epileptic(sp?) and I tried again
with FreeBSD and a DigiBoard. This time it works great for answering
machine use! Both were on 486 ISA machines with the ZyXEL 1496E modem.

I don't use the DTMF facilities *yet*, but a friend had used for a menu
that did things like trigger a PPP call to his ISP and Text-To-Speech his
dynamic IP address. I intend to use it to allow remote X-10 access and
multi-box voicemail. Another friend is also using it for an answering
machine, but hints that the latest release may not be as nice as the
older ones.

DTMF can cause shell-script interaction and it supports the Rockwell
voice-modems which are cheaper than the ZyXEL. I have really liked the
ZyXEL modem longterm, though. I have a Hayes Optima (as well as a cheap
Rockwell modem) I will be experimenting-with later. vgetty also supports
ANI/CallerId(tm) and Differential/RingMaster(tm) protocols.

FWIW: It makes a great answering machine for voice and FAX messaging. A
small CGI script allows on-the-fly conversion from the modem-format
(compressed!) voicemail file and G3 FAX file to .wav and .tiff so
Navigator and WaterMark(FileNet now) viewers work well. Some of us are
beginning work on a MySQL+Java client to improve user and admin features
and speed.

Hope this helps - Jy@ (jwyatt@rwsystems.net)