Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:18:24 -0700
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Derek_Kuli=C5=84ski?= <takeda@takeda.tk>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Michael <freebsdports@bindone.de>
Subject:   Re: bin/121684: : dump(8) frequently hangs

Hello Jeremy,

[... links about problems with snapshots ...]

the dump can be used without snapshots, in that case is it a still
worse method of doing backups?

as for the snapshots, you made me even more depressed :)
I don't have huge hard disk so I think backup on biggest partition
takes a minute (maybe less) which is not so bad.
I loved snapshots because the backup that I got was always consistent
(I had an opportunity to test it three times already).
I only had to remember to lock the database and flush all writes
during the snapshot, which was possible to be completely done through
a simple script.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda@takeda.tk

-- Hidden DOS secret: add BUGS=OFF to your CONFIG.SYS