Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:06:15 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?UTF-8?B?S8O8aG4=?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom 3808 support

Am Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:40:20 -0500
schrieb "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG>:

> > I had looked into the source tree of the mpr driver in 13.0, but
> > somehow failed to find references to the 3808 chipset (just had looked
> > for "3808" as a string, which isn't there, in contrast to 3816 - but
> > maybe that was a too shallow idea on my side :-). The 38* chipsets also
> > aren't mentioned in the mpr manpage at all - maybe that one isn't
> > up-to-date then (although it claims to be from June 1, 2019 here)?

> Yes, it looks like Steve McConnell (who used to be the Broadcom
> maintainer, but moved to their firmware group) was the last one to
> update the list of supported devices in 2017.

> So the man page is indeed out of date.

Would it make sense to open a ticket within FreeBSD bugs for that, or does
one just wait until someone at Broadcom decides to work on this?

> The mpr(4) driver supports all of their 12Gb SAS (non-RAID) chips as far
> as I know.
>
> I think the last two digits of their SAS chip and board model names are
> the number of SAS lanes.

Maybe the chips are always identified unter the 3816 label I found in the
source, no matter how many lanes they really have (and 16 appears to be
the maximum number). Makes perfect sense, so my next step here is to find
some money to buy hardware.

cu
  Gerrit