Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 23:17:33 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr (Alain FAUCONNET)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yp_next clnt_call timed out

Christoph Kukulies wrote / a ecrit:

> I'm getting these messages sometimes from one NIS client
> here. Any ideas what might cause them?
>

> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 16:45:22 GMT
> From: root@somehost.somedomain.de (Cron Daemon)
> To: root@somehost.somedomain.de
> Subject: Cron <root@somehost> /usr/libexec/atrun
>
> yp_next: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

Would your FreeBSD  machine  be  NIS  bound  to  a  server  that  does
forwarding of name resolution requests to DNS like most Suns do ?

Would you use NIS before DNS in host name resolution ?

I get that message when my FreeBSD  box  either  tries  to  resolve  a
non-existing host hame (because, I guess, it goes up to the  DNS  root
servers and this takes too long) of when the DNS server on our LAN has
problems (down, can't talk to upper level server(s) etc.)

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE