Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:56:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        Chuck Scott <chuck@integrityonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rookie stuff...

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Chuck Scott wrote:

> Setting up a box for mail and web hosting, and have some basic stuff that
> is bugging me.  I can't find a .bashrc file to configure.  I want to set up
> aliases, etc, and am stumped.  When I logon, it invokes the shell just
> fine, but I can't find the above file?  Am I way stupid, or just mildly?
> Running 3.0-RELEASE.

.bashrc doesn't exist by default. You'll have to create it. From the
manual page:

       When bash is invoked as an  interactive  login  shell,  it
       first  reads and executes commands from the file /etc/pro-
       file, if that file exists.  After reading  that  file,  it
       looks  for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile,
       in that order, and reads and executes  commands  from  the
       first  one  that  exists and is readable.  The --noprofile
       option may be used when the shell is  started  to  inhibit
       this behavior.

       When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands
       from the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

       When an interactive shell that is not  a  login  shell  is
       started,  bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc,
       if that file exists.  This may be inhibited by  using  the
       --norc  option.   The --rcfile file option will force bash
       to  read  and  execute  commands  from  file  instead   of
       ~/.bashrc.

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji