Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 07:04:23 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Abbas Karbassian <abbas_karbassian@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel fails and generates a error message.

On 2003-01-04 20:20, Abbas Karbassian <abbas_karbassian@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Problem Report:

This is definitely *not* a problem report.  You seem to have created a
rather liberal imitation of the format used by send-pr(1) but this can
not work.  To file a proper problem report, please run send-pr(1) and
follow the instructions as carefully as possible.

> Kernel fails and generates a error message when trying
> to enable UDMA in ATA hard Disk.

> Environment:
> FreeBSD  4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Nov > 27 17:23:59 GMT 2002
> root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL47  i386

Note that when reporting bugs it's always nice to try reproducing them
with the GENERIC kernel and not a local modification.

> I have recently installed FreeBsd4.7 from DVD.  I have added the
> following line  in /etc/rc.local file to enable the highpoint366
> UDMA.
>
> "sysctl -w hw.atamodes=dma,dma,dma,dma"

The canonical way of tweaking sysctl values is to create a file called
/etc/sysctl.conf and add the name=value pairs to that file.  Then the
startup scripts will pick the changes and pass them to sysctl for you.

> during boot up time the following message displayed on
> the screen:
>
> "Starting local daemons : sysctl :unknown oid
> 'hw.atamodes' "

This means that the hw.atamodes object ID does no longer exist.  I
haven't checked a recent 4.X installation lately, but as far as I can
tell from a quick glance at the /usr/src/sys/dev/ata source, this is
no longer needed.  The knobs that you can tweak for enabling or
disabling DMA on ata & atapi devices are now called:

	hw.ata.ata_dma: 0
	hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0

You might also want to check out the manpage of the atacontrol(8)
utility for a bit more information on 'modes' of such devices and ways
to view and/or change the current mode.

- Giorgos