Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:06:15 -0600
From:      Greg Cook <freebsd@vnews.net>
To:        "'FreeBSD-Questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   9 quick questions :) Somewhat Long

Disclaimer: I have good working knowledge of Linux (Redhat 4.0 ~ 5.2) =
and ancient SCO, but alas none with FreeBSD or BSD derivatives.

To overcome the 2 gig file size limit under Intel Linux, I have ported =
one of our Linux boxes to FreeBSD 3.1-Release. So far everything has ran =
well and generally the box has smoothed out a tad under high loads.

Some Kudo's:
Your kernel compilation, Thumbs Way Up. Linux could learn a good thing =
by copying your pattern here.

Your basic package installation choices, Thumbs Sideways.
From a new (nonUnix) user stand point you might put together a package =
that includes your compiler, X Windows, and basic mail, news, browser =
utilities without having the user choose each individual program. Maybe =
subpackages with a classification instead of the program names being =
included. i.e.. Mail, News, NFS Server and Client. DOS and Windows =
Connectivity etc. Your packages as they stand are great for more =
informed Unixiens. You didn't force me to take a lot of duplicate items =
I did not need, but allow me to pick and choose. ie. pine instead of elm =
etc.

Questions:
As a possible FreeBSD convert, I still have a few questions that I can =
not seem to find any documentation to:

Packages:
1. Is there any way to query which packages are loaded, i.e. equiv. to =
rpm -qa under Redhat RPM Manager.
2. Any easy way to remove a package.
3. Upgrading a package and reasonable OS package update intervals.

Kernel Parameters:
4. Default file descriptor settings, where to change, and reasonable =
maximums.
5. UDMA support. How to turn on for the VIA chipset. i.e. hdparm -d 1 =
/dev/hda under Linux

User Administration:
6. Changing the shell to bash (it is installed) from csh. Have tried =
/etc/paswd and /etc/master.passwd, no avail.

Security
7. Have tcpwrappers package installed, unable to locate a =
/etc/hosts.allow/.deny. Different locations/names?

General Knowledge:
8. A clearer definition of setting up vinum over ccd. Ccd is working but =
fairly slow. Commands to set up a vinum drive set on 2 10gig WD's in wd2 =
and wd3 RAID 0 (Striping).

Compiling.
9. Generic C file (hello world) spews all kinds of parse errors in the =
_headers_ included. First 3 files with errors included below. I have =
looked at the header files and appears to be legitimate code. The sample =
program has the include list from a program I am trying to port from =
Linux, but chopped the specific code out and modified to the "Hello =
World". Full discourse of errors and include files can be forwarded on =
request.

bash-2.02$ cc t.c     =20
In file included from t.c:1:
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:223: parse error before `u_int32_t'
<snip>
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:139: parse error before `u_char'
<big snip>
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:278: storage size of `sin_addr' isn't known

file:t.c
bash-2.02$ cat t.c
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/types.h>

int main (int niArgc, char *ptraArgv[])   {
        printf("Hello World\r\n");
        exit(0);
}

_end of 9

I am impressed with FreeBSD so far, and have even toyed with the idea of =
moving a couple of other high usage boxes over to it, as soon as I can =
verify how tight I can shore up the security. The box in question here =
is on an internal private Class C and not accessible to the outside =
world, but if I can deny All: All and allow All: to local then I'd feel =
more comfortable about public boxes on FreeBSD.

Good job on the OS and supporting packages.

Greg Cook
Vnews.net