Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:47:27 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Ersin Miman <emiman@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where can I find C/C++ Tutorial for FreeBSD?

> I know Borland C/C++ for dos/windows but I installed FreeBSD on my
> computer and I want to learn freeBSD C/C++ .
>
> C/C++ that running on the freeBSD is different from Borland C/C++ and
> there is some syntax declaration.
>
> where can I find C/C++ Tutorial for freeBSD and sample code?

To start with, stick to Standard C and you'll be fine.  When
you've got the hang of that, read the man pages in sections 2
and 3 to see what is available under FreeBSD.  For sample code,
read the FreeBSD sources.  Start with easy things like cat(1)
and gradually work up to more complex programs like ls(1).  Then
have a look at using sockets and X-Windows, and you'll be on
your way.  There are some tutorials for some of the more complex
stuff in /usr/share/doc.

If you're looking for a simple environment to write, compile,
test and debug your programs, consider installing and learning
to use Emacs as your editor.  It has excellent support for this.

As for C++, don't bother.  It will make you go blind and serves
no useful purpose other than to sell lots of useless books,
magazines, training courses, debuggers, and chairs for all the
extra programmers that are needed to write simple software in
complex ways.

You may find a few people who disagree with the opinions in the
two paragraphs before this one.  You'll have to decide whether
to listen to them or to the voice of reason :-)

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>