Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:28:43 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        question@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: # of labels per slice [was: Re: bsdlabel on root disk]

--Boundary-02=_QysGA4gAVTF975x

On Friday 30 January 2004 18:14, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2004 18:03, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Sorry, I know that this question arose several times, but I couldn't fi=
nd
> > anything useful via google and I never paid attention because I never
> > thought I'd have that problem, but now I do:
> > How the heck can I manipulate the bsdlabel on the root disk?
> > The machine is some hundred miles away so I can't boot from CD to do
> > that. I have to write a new label to a running system!!!
>
> Ok, I found that bsdlabel works but sysinstall doesn't. (Why?)
> But now I have the problem that I can't create labels higher than "h".
> If I remember correctly I should be able to create 16 labels per slice. Am
> I wrong?

Yes I am :( I think I mixed it up with OpenBSDs disklabel where 16 partitio=
ns=20
are allowed.
Wouldn't it be a great thing to have more than 8 labels per slice in FreeBS=
D=20
too?
My intention was to give every jail it's own mountpoint so size was absolut=
ely=20
fixed.

Regrettably it exceeds my skills to adopt the OpenBSDs (NetBSDs) disklabel.
Is anybody else interested in more labels?

Thanks,

=2DHarry