Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 10:40:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mpp@freefall.freebsd.org (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: locate

> What do people think of the idea of changing locate & its database
> update script to keep a list of ALL files on the system, and
> not just those that can been seen by the world.  It always drives
> me nuts when I use locate to find something I *KNOW* is on
> my system, but it would not print it because it is in some directory
> that is mode 750, and not 755, but it is still accessable by
> my current uid/gid.

BAAAAAAAAAAD idea.

The problem is that you are making information available that would not
otherwise be available.

I remember demonstrating the vulnerability under 4.3-Tahoe at a University
site where the scanner was being run as root.  I went and did a find/grep
for each of the CS professors, looked through their home directories, and
found that one professor was kind enough to have mode 711 on his home
directory (to allow the TA's access), and had a readable midterm exam under
a name that one would not immediately guess.

I've heard similar stories of exploitation back in the days when finger ran
as root and did not check for symlinks.  People would locate a file in a
directory that they could not access, link .plan to it, and finger
themselves.

The first scenario can be fixed by teaching better security to people who
should know better.  It can also be fixed by running the scanner as 'nobody'
instead of root.  The second scenario was fixed in the source, and again
also by not running the scanner as root..

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968