Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:48:25 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dns failure

> > named[78]: ns_req: no address for root server
>
> Somebody else recently complained about this, too.  It looked from his
> description as if the named did expire the root server entries after
> exactly the given TTL (~ 41 days).  Oh well, the `cache' entries are
> intended to never expire?!

Hmmm, I don't think this is it.  The TTL from the root sites is 7 days,
with a serial 19960607000.  The TTL from named.root or the cache is ~41
days, but starting when?   If it's the time when named was started, I've
got lots of time left :-).

ns_req.c has the following comment around the code which spits out this
message:

  ** Don't go into an infinite loop if
  ** the admin gave root NS records in the cache
  ** file without giving address records
  ** for the root servers.

The cache file is the standard one from ftp.rs.internic.net, and
contains entries with both NS records and A records, so, as usual,
I'm confused...

--
Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com	(business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org	(personal)