Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:14:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'make installworld' makes /var/mail world-not-writable

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Rahul Dhesi wrote:

> Unlike / and /usr and /etc, which can be considered private to each
> machine, /var/mail is much more likely to be a global filesystem with a
> site-wide, not machine-specific, file locking policy and permissions.

Odd - I thought the *point* of the /var file system was that it
contained things that VARied from machine to machine. That's why
things that lived on /usr in 4.[23]BSD migrated onto it - so that /usr
could be shared across machines that had the same binary format.

But you're right - the default behavior for /var/mail assumes that
you're not sharing it across multiple systems. On the other hand, the
default MTA makes the same assumptions (or it did when I quit using
it) - and you have to fix that as well. Changing the mail spool
structure/permissions when you change the MTA behavior seems
reasonable. As for lowering the security of the default installation
to avoid that particular change - I'd say no.

The only time this should really matter is upgrading from source. In
that case, if /etc/make.conf sets NO_SENDMAIL to true, then /var/mail
shouldn't be touched.

	<mike