Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:57:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        ajphanks@comcast.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing to a Lanier LD160c does not work

--0-245502102-1224297536=:8917

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, ajphanks@comcast.net wrote:

> I have tried the reccomendations that you guys have suggested with no luck.

> Here is my current printcap.

> admincolor|LANIER LD160c RPCS:\
>         :lp=\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/output/admincolor:\
>         :rm=admincolor:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>         :if=/usr/local/libexec/crfilter:\
>         :sh:\
>         :tr=\f:

Please trim your responses and don't top-post, as it makes responding to
your messages difficult.

The printcap still has no :rp=lp: line.  HP printers aren't picky about
that, but other brands sometimes are.

You've also added a filter and kept the multiple printer names.  Things
like that make more complexity to debug.  Wait until you have basic
communication working.  The exact suggested printcap entry:

admincolor:\
          :lp=:\
          :sh:\
          :mx#0:\
          :rm=admincolor:\
          :rp=lp:\
          :sd=/var/spool/output/admincolor:\
          :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Note: one printer name (who needs more than one, really?).  rm= and rp=
entries.  No filter; I think that printer can handle PostScript and PCL.

Put that printcap entry in /etc/printcap, then send a PostScript test to
the printer (all one line):

printf "%%\!PS\n/Courier findfont 20 scalefont setfont 72 72 moveto (Test!) show showpage\f" | lpr -P admincolor

--0-245502102-1224297536=:8917--