Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:23:11 -0700
From:      Brett Rogers <loki_bsd@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        AZNPrideChinese@worldnet.att.net
Subject:   Re: i am having trouble using aim

On Thursday 13 June 2002 11:12 am, you wrote:
> On Friday 14 June 2002 02:10 am, you wrote:

> > > i brought the freebsd power pak 4.4 in comp usa, as for error runni=
ng
> > > aim i'll have to download it again, cuz i just reformatted my hard
> > > drive. and i don't have any problems starting kde, and yes the only
> > > thing in the .xinitrc file is exec startkde. when i tried the comma=
nd
> > > cd/user/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-gtk
> > > make install, it says

> > > ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/redhat/old-releases/redhate-6.=
1/i3
> > >86 /R edHat/RPMS/. fetch: gtk+-1.2.5-2.i386.rpm: Operation timed out
> >
> > Were you connected to the internet at the time?  And try copying your
> > .kde dir from /root to your users home dir
>
> well i might've gotten cut off, but if that file was downloaded, wouldn=
't i
> have to install it manually? that'd lead to a whole new set of problems=
 for
> me wouldn't it? and i am logged on as root right now

download that file manually from:=20
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/redhat/old-releases/redhate-6.1/i386=
/R=20
edHat/RPMS/, place it (uncompressed) in /usr/ports/distfiles, go back int=
o=20
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-gtk, and run make install.  I would still=20
recommend being connected to the internet when you run the make command=20
because any dependencies will be downloaded after it verifies that=20
gtk+-1.2.5-2.i386.rpm is in /usr/ports/distfiles.  If you have any proble=
ms=20
with any of the dependencies, download the files manually, put them in th=
e=20
same dir and run again.