Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 15:40:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        hanche@math.ntnu.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idletime disconnect won't work

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> Apparently, there is some sort of incoming traffic which hinders the
> idle timer from ever reaching its timeout value.
>
> What can this traffic be?  How can I find out something more about it?

I have no idea about this since i'm not a ppp expert. Joerg ?

Perhaps setting the "debug" flag with ifconfig shows a bit more information
to track this ? (see "man sppp")

> Maybe it is related to the next problem?

This is unlikely.

> While I am *not* online, I get messages like these in the log.
>
> May 28 23:28:12 thoth /kernel: i4b-L1-isic_isac_irq: CRC error
> May 28 23:28:12 thoth /kernel: i4b-L1-isic_isac_irq: Receive Aborted error

I suspect this is noise, a wrong cable or a bad cable contact. I've seen
exactly this with a bad cable although others have different opinions on
this. After i cut one of the plugs on the cable and crimped a new one on
that cable this effects disappeared.

If i were you, i would have a _very_ detailed look at my S0 bus installation
and verify _all_ S0 cables, contacts, wire orders and bus termination.

> Or is there always some traffic on the S-bus, even when
> nothing interesting is going on?

Ususally, all traffic stops 10 seconds after the last device using the S0
bus has stopped communicating. But there are exceptions, it seems that here
in Germany it is possible to get a "constantly active" S0 bus by asking for
it or by accident (Gary has one ;-).

> Again, how can I find out more about what is happening?

By debugging at various parts and levels of i4b. Using isdndebug you are
able to trace many events at all layers of the kernel part; using isdntrace
(have a look at the -i flag output) shows what is going on on the S0 bus
for the machine running i4b - using a second machine with 2 passive cards
and a custom cable described in the isdntrace directory, file cable.txt
can trace everything taking place on a S0 bus. If nothing helps, only
putting more debug messages into the code or using a commercial S0 bus
analyzer will help.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
                    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk.