Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:14:33 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic plus advice needed

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 11:18:37AM -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
> > > * if you still have exactly the same source tree and config file,
> > > recompile the kernel with -g to obtain the version with debugging symbols
> >
> > bde has reported that the code may not be identical when compiling for
> > debugging.  It should be, but for obscure reasons it doesn't quite
> > make it.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing a pointer to those reasons, if you have one..

One reason adding -g doesn't work at times is if the kernel is
recompiled by a person with a different length username. vers.c
is produced with a string which is a different length which screws
up the offsets.

Maybe newvers.sh should pad usernames to the legal max? Maybe we should
warn people to touch vers.c after editing the Makefile?

	David.