Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:34:40 -0500
From:      Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wine causing x bus error

On 2012-04-16 21:17, matt wrote:
> I've been trying with no success to get a 3d game running under wine
> on
> amd64.
> Wine in general works fine, just crashes whenever any opengl/d3d
> stuff
> happens.
> It works on wine with Linux, so I know this isn't a "simple"
> incompatibility.
>
> The program launches, but as soon as it attempts to detect 3d
> drivers, X
> terminates with (hand transcribed):
> Bus Error 10: at address 0x802cf30d7
>
> I'm running amd64 with xf86-video-ati.
>
> I've tried running the latest package from mediafire, compiling my
> own
> package using the patch, as well as using a i386 chroot with the
> standard wine from ports. Mesagl and libdrm are installed in the
> chroot.
>
> Interestingly, trying to run it over SSH on a linux system also kills
> X,
> although with a segfault.
>
> They all have the result above...is this related to the wine address
> space issues on the wiki?
>
> Is what I'm trying to do not possible? Or are there other steps I can
> try?
>
> Matt

I don't have much to add on this except that ATI drivers are iffy on
BSD while Nvidia seem to have deeper support.  That's my guess as what
you are running into.  I have no clue why X-Forwarding crashes X.  That
makes me think that this isn't a wine issue but fundamental instability
in the ATI drivers on FreeBSD.

Rusty Nejdl