Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:01:26 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@chello.cz>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, peter@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MFCs needed in src/sys/sys/cdefs.h

At 10:50 PM +0200 4/9/04, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>This is an extended version of my previous email to hackers@
>which hasn't attracted any attention. This time I'm mailing
>the authors too.

I must have missed the earlier message...

>Two revisions need MFC in src/sys/sys/cdefs.h:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/sys/cdefs.h.diff?r1=1.78&r2=1.79
>
>Silences gobs of warnings in just about any libtool-using software.
>
>Fix for CURRENT commited: (5 months, 1 week ago) by peter.

I have no opinion on this.  It looks fine to me.

>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/sys/cdefs.h.diff?r1=1.74&r2=1.75
>
>This one fixes __RCSID(), __RCSID_SOURCE(), etc in the same
>manner as __FBSDID(). The commit message even says it should
>be MFCed after one week, but that never happened.
>
>Commited (8 months, 2 weeks ago) by gad.

When I went to MFC this, I found out that cdefs in -stable was
different enough to cdefs in -current that this was not a simple
MFC.  That update modified lines added by earlier changes which
had not been MFC'ed.  After talking about it with BDE, we felt
that it was more trouble than it was worth to sort out what
should and should not be MFC'ed.

Note, for instance, that the lines which are replaced by r1.75
do not even exist in cdefs.h for release 4.x.  The update fixes
the handling of the NO__RCSID, NO__RCSID_SOURCE, NO__SCCSID, and
NO_COPYRIGHT options -- and 4.x does not have any of those NO__*
options.  In fact, it doesn't have the __SCCSID macro, never
mind the NO__SCCSID option to nullify that macro...

It would be easy enough to write a minimal update for 4.x that
would "add and then fix" those options.  But right now I am
really over-committed and over-tired.  I also do not see much
urgency in MFC'ing a fix for bugs that do not exist in -stable...
It would have been much nicer if you had gotten my attention
about this a few weeks ago.

We are now *in* the code-freeze for 4.x, so I'll have to see
what re@ thinks about it.  I could also pick up Peter's update,
if he wanted me to.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu