Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:08:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Schuerger <schuerge@wjpserver.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        George Vagner <freebsd@www.timandpatrick.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddisk problems

> Make sure that you are using an UDMA cable, I had various
> errors on my Maxtor drive because i was using
> just a plain old cable and not an UDMA cable.
>
> The UDMA cables have 80 wires in them, a wire between
> each real conductor to shunt noise to ground.
>
> Just a thought...

I don't know whether I have an UDMA cable or not, but
my other IBM drive (10.4 GB UDMA) I've used for one
year now works fine on the same cable. I'll try using
another cable then.

I'd like to know whether there is a tool for FreeBSD
that actually FORMATS a slice with verify. newfs doesn't
seem to really format every cylinder of the disk, but
seems to write only the cylinder used by the UFS
filesystem.

Ciao,
Thomas Schürger.   http://www.menden.augustin.de