Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 07:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed test

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 16, 1997 at 12:42:09PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>> In message <199708161005.MAA02831@desk.jhs.no_domain> "Julian H. Stacey" writes:
>>> What does "3-sigma" mean in English ?
>>> (I'm English not American, perhaps others were puzzled too ?)
>>
>> Three standard deviations away from the average.  Generally used to
>> connote being on the cutting edge.
>
>That's a rather arbitary interpretation, isn't it?  What about the
>trailing edge?

Yes, 3-sigma means we're talking something that's statistically
99.[99...7]% out of the normal range, or "3 standard-deviations away". Oh,
one more piece of the puzzle -- the Greek symbol sigma is typically used
to represent the standard deviation of a measurement.  So if you play
xgalaga all the time and your average score is 100 points with a standard
deviation of 10, you are "3-sigma" out if you score 70 or 130.

I think.  (Hey, this is stats.  I hate stats.)

Happy trails,

Brian