Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:05:07 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Alex Burke <alexjeffburke@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Swap_pager and modified after free console messages

On Mon, 2006-Jan-23 19:14:43 +0000, Alex Burke wrote:
[I can't help with point 1]
>2) a swap_pager message about not being able to allocate any more space.
>
>My /usr filesystem was full (except for the last 8% reserved for root
>only), and I had been doing some heavy ports tree compiling. I am just
>not sure if that message is normal and that swap was REALLY 100% used
>up, or whether it was indicative of something else and I should try to
>replicate the issue.

Unless you have a fairly unusual setup (swapping into a file in /usr),
/usr being full has nothing to do with swap being full.  You can check
swap usage with "swapinfo".  There's no simple way to identify how much
swap space is being used by each process but VSZ reported by 'ps -axl'
might suggest the culprit(s) - a few excessively large processes or an
excessive number of small ones.

--
Peter Jeremy