Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 22:01:47 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Subject:   Re: userconfig doesn't work on tvi925

Jordan,

I was speaking with a friend about the new userconfig stuff today, and
he had what I think is a simply grand idea.

I am really concerned that this crap is in the kernel.  I don't think
it belongs there,  but I was convinced by the old "dumb terminal"
userconfig that it was good.

Here is my suggestion.

Pull out the new userconfig ENTIRELY.  Get rid of it.  Instead, add a
sysctl interface and a staticly linked program in /sbin to operate that
interface.  This keeps the kernel clean, and gives you access to fancy
stuff in user mode.  If you want to have the old userconfig for emergencies,
I have absolutely no objection to that (it would be nice if it was #ifdef'ed).

Yes, I'm sorry, I realize it's a pain in the ass to throw away work, but
we're really better off with a separation between kernel and user mode stuff.

(hell, then you can use curses if you want).

Paul

  From: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
  Subject: userconfig doesn't work on tvi925
  Hi,

    I have a headless PC with a tvi925 clone as its console.  The new
  userconfig assumes a vt100, so it is completely useless in this situation.
  Is there any chance of adding a "dumb terminal" mode and defaulting to it
  if you are on a serial console?  (With, of course, a command in "dumb"
  mode that can switch you to full screen mode?)

    Bill