Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 22:54:25 -0700
From:      "Michael C. Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        keichii@iteration.net, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM s31 ACPI not working

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 03:02:38AM +0900, Mitsuru IWASAKI scribbled:
| >   The cooling fan never runs, and it makes the notebook really hot.
| [snip]
| >   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3442
| >   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: 0
| >   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
| >   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3681
| >   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
| >   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3732
| >   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 3332 3352 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
|
| s31 has AC0 and AC1 level cooling.  Please try;
|  # sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=1
| to activate AC1 level cooling by manual.

I did this, but I have never understood what each ACPI sysctl
meant.  Is there a doc somewhere that explains these?
For example, what effect does changing hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime
have?
How does hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate work?
How does acpi count battery.life? (i.e. what time unit)
Same with battery.time, is it in seconds?

Is there a way that I can force the FAN on?

I am sorry for all these small questions, but I am sure
that many of us have the same questions too.
If you want, I can put together a doc as long as I know what
they do. :)

| but automatically switching to AC1 is not functioning.
| I think this is bug, I'll check later on.

Further testing will happen soon. :P

Thank you very much,
  Michael