Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 00:45:21 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>
>> May I suggest that if you're not going to give a helpful answer, that
>> you don't give _any_ answer.  Smart-ass comments like this don't do much
>> for FreeBSD's image.
>
> If you look a little closer, you will see a lone smiley face on a line all
> by itself.  Smiley's are often used to indicate humor in a medium where
> body language is not available.

I probably did miss that, but I think someone asking a genuine question
doesn't really deserve a joke answer.  I expect if you asked question
and got a joke answer you wouldn't be particularly impressed, especially
if you were new to FreeBSD.

> Have you seen the FAQ on "scratching noises" in memory?
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/misc.html
>
> Surely that meets your definition of a smart ass comment. I think it's
> funny.  That FAQ even goes so far is to tell the user to 'fdisk /mbr' for
> crying out loud.  That's not funny! (but it is)

Well I've never actually seen anyone ask that question, so this is a little
different.  Perhaps people did...

> Perhaps we should remove this portion of what are obviously not frequently
> asked questions to protect FreeBSD's image.

I think you have missed my point, but never mind.  A question like that
in the FAQ is very different to someone getting a joke answer to their
*specific* emailed question.

> And above all damnit...
>
> :)

Well indeed.