Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:05:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU (Howard Lew)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undump program

> > > Is there an "undump" program to turn a core dump into an executable binary?
> >
> > It would be trivial to write.
> >
> > Why do you want an executable binary whose first act will be to core
> > dump again?  Can't you just copy the core file to the new location?  8-).
>
> Actually, I think a better question would be.... Is there an undump
> program to take a core dump and run it?

Core dumps wouldn't be core dumps if they were runnable.

The big problem with a core dump is that the condition that caused the
dump to occur exists in the state of the dump as an imminent problem
after an undump.

The next big problem is that you can't reopen the fd's associated with
the fd's the process had open, since they file names aren't part of
the state information.

The next big problem is that even if you modify the application to
rememebr the file names, the state associated with fd's that are
network connections is not necessarily recoverable.

Then there are the architectural problems...

What is it you want?  Checkpoint/restart?  There are packages for
that, but they certainly don't involve undumping core files.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.