Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2014 15:12:37 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0-RELEASE and jails

On 04/01/2014 12:12, nano wrote:
> My VPS runs 9.0-RELEASE, which is making jail setup difficult (for me).
>
> I could only ezjail-admin install 8.4-RELEASE because I could not find
> the 9.0-RELEASE base.txz anywhere. This made updating the basejail
> nigh impossible because it was trying to update host kernel version
> (9.0-RELEASE) when the jail world was 8.4-RELEASE. I thought I would
> give qjail a try, but so far am unable to even install a basejail with
> that utility.
>
> I've only ever administered jails with ezjail, so am in need of some
> help. What are my options to get a couple (up-to-date) jails setup on
> this host? Thanks.

Funnily enough, I never got on with ezjail and I just configure them
with a few lines in rc.conf. I believe that ezjail is useful if you have
a high number of jails running, and you want to manage them. If you only
have a few and can edit a text file. The handbook Chapter 15 has all the
information you need; possibly a bit too much!

The concept is that you just make a directory, copy what you want to in
it (like all the files on a live FreeBSD system), add a few lines
describing it to rc.conf (i.e. the name, directory and IP address you
want to pass through) and "run" it using "jail". Yes, you can do an
buildworld+installworld if you want to get the environment in that way
but it's just a bunch of files. I'm happily running "images" of earlier
FreeBSD systems in jails on later ones - the main box I use for this
happens to be 9.0 running 7.x and 8.x systems.

I can't see what you're trying to do with ezjail, but I don't know
ezjail at all well. Feel free to email me directly if you have a
specific problem.