Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 1996 16:11:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Re: sup is broken?

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

To: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
cc: hackers@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 16:11:47 -0800
From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>

> Jordan wrote:
>
> > PLEASE DON'T USE SUP.FREEBSD.ORG TO UPDATE YOURSELF!
>
> Good evening, my name is John, and I use sup.freebsd.org to update
> myself.
>
> [ embarrassed applause from the other supaholics in the audience ]

Hey, OK, let's be honest here - *I* use sup.freebsd.org to update
myself (it would be silly otherwise, given that my SLIP line goes
directly into that machine, but that's another matter) and a number of
other core team people do as well.  I didn't mean to imply that using
sup.freebsd.org was a mark of shame, simply that the "mainstream"
should no longer consider it the one and only place to come for their
bits.  We've gotten too big for that scheme to work any longer.. :-(

That said:

> Jordan, I would be more than happy to switch to an alternate sup
> server, if only the other ones would work worth a sh*t!

I know that there are still some problems with the other sup sites,
and it's more than likely that some additional shuffling of the
servers and name space will be required until we have fairly beefy and
reliable machines serving sup2.freebsd.org and sup3.freebsd.org at a
minimum.  We're just starting out with this here, more in panic
reaction to freefall melting down than anything else, and it's going
to take a little longer to work the bugs out.  I didn't say that this
was all going to work right away! :-)

Nonetheless, even without fully functional backup, it's clear that
sup.freebsd.org is now too overloaded to even use for most people and
we have to do the best we can with the alternative resources
available.  We have no other choice!

On the brighter side, someone just volunteered to create a sup server
at a fairly well-connected spot (and I'll be coy about it for now to
avoid potentially jeopardizing these arrangements during their
vulnerable boost phase) and that may go a fair ways towards solving
these problems.

Not that more sup servers aren't needed!  They are.  We could easily
use *3 times* the number of sup sites we currently have since freefall
clearly turns away more people than it's able to service these days,
and even Paul Traina's sup2.freebsd.org has been full on more than one
occasion.  Even with a well-distributed load we'll still have more
than we can handle, so if you'd like to create a sup server at your
regional NAP (dream :) or well-connected ISP as a public service then
please, by all means do so!

How does it work?  At the risk of repeating myself, here are the basic
details:

1. You need to be willing to host at least 10 bandwidth-sucking connections
   from your machine.  Sup is not a "light" service, and it would be dishonest
   of me not to point that out in advance to prospective server volunteers.
   You also need about 300-600MB of disk space, depending on how many of the
   collections you intend to offer.

   If you've got the CPU power and bandwidth to spare and this still
   doesn't scare you off, then your next step is:

2. Grab the following tarball:

	ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/sup-server-kit.tar.gz

   Unpacked, this will contain some instructions on setting up a sup
   server and preparing the "collections" that it provides to its clients.

   You should also mirror your own trees from sup.freebsd.org, and at some
   point we'll be restricting access to ONLY sup mirrors so that they
   can get in reliably.  Part of the problem we have now is a
   chicken-and-egg transition problem:  Most people want to use the
   sup mirrors but they're often incomplete, a result of the mirror site
   not being able to update itself.  It can't update itself because there
   are too many users using the primary site due to the incomplete nature
   of the mirrors! :-)

3. Once your site is up and passing its initial client tests, send
   details to myself <jkh@freebsd.org> and Justin Gibbs
   <gibbs@freebsd.org>, the supmeister.  We'll figure out what "class" of
   site it is (based on which collections it provides and number of
   simultaneous users allowed) and then send a request to David Greenman
   <davidg@freebsd.org> who manages the name space for freebsd.org.
   He'll add in a new sup<n>.freebsd.org entry pointing to the new
   sup site, with the lower numbers being allocated to the higher-bandwidth
   servers.

We're also especially interested in foreign sup sites, since they
prevent an otherwise expensive and slow hop across the pond to the
U.S. sites.  I believe we have sup.de.freebsd.org and sup.au.freebsd.org
in operation now, though there's a conspicuous lack of entries for:

	sup.br.freebsd.org
	sup.ca.freebsd.org
	sup.dk.freebsd.org
	sup.fi.freebsd.org (*)
	sup.fr.freebsd.org
	sup.hk.freebsd.org
	sup.jp.freebsd.org (**)
	sup.nl.freebsd.org
	sup.ru.freebsd.org
	sup.uk.freebsd.org

*  May already have nic.funet.fi, but the DNS primary for fi.freebsd.org
   hasn't added this.

** These folks actually need at least 2 or 3 servers to start with.

You'll note that I also haven't mentioned every major country here -
no offense to those countries intended! :-) I'm merely pointing out
the "higher traffic" countries here and suggesting that they could
most immediately benefit from having a local sup server.

Finally, a note to existing sup server maintainers: I have noticed
myself that sup3.freebsd.org and sup4.freebsd.org have incomplete or
small collections.  I think that we should try and get everyone to
offer at least -stable and -current now, especially since the CVS tree
has been opened up and it's actually quite easy to offer multiple
collections now.  Simply sup only one tree, the CVS tree, and then use
it locally from cron to check out your own -stable and -current trees.
You don't have to sup all 3 trees from freefall! :-)

Ideally, if we could get everyone to look and work identically to
sup.freebsd.org then John wouldn't have his gripes at all - it would
be transparent.  Ideally.. :-)

Volunteers?  This is your resource, constructed for your benefit,
after all!  :-)

					Jordan

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--