Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 22:23:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Bryan Bursey <bbursey@mechv.me.tuns.ca>, Ruben van Staveren <ruben@luna.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5 on a SMP system..... or Applixware...

> 1) How well does ApplixWare handle MS Office97 files?

I don't know what you mean by Office97 since there is a whole host
of file formats encompassed in that phrase.  If you're asking if
it reads word files, it does.  If you're asking if it reads Excel
files, it also does that.  If you're asking if it reads Powerpoint
files then I don't know since I've never tested that.  I see powerpoint
on the list of import formats so one assumes it works.

> 2) Do you know of any plans for Applixware to support Office 2000 formats?

I think that's a question for Applix - there's only so much we can know
about a 3rd party product.  Maybe?

> 3) How well does Applix share files with StarOffice (I aleady have a few in
>    StarOffice format, although I suppose I could change them to .txt
>    format and use them that way)

I have no idea since I've never used StarOffice - you tell me. :)

> 4) And this is the biggie.....Does the Applix lisence allow for
> multiple copies of the software (For example on a laptop and Desktop)
> with one purchase or would I have to purchase two copies...

I don't know the answer to this question either.  I reviewed the
product as well as I could and saw no specific mention of licensing
except for documentation on the license key generator and the license
manager, something that might be informative if Applixware currently
used an LM, which it does not.  I think this is another question for
Applix.

> Regarding question #2, sibce The Applixware we have is a port from
> the Linux one, does this mean we will have to wait untill Applix
> gets Office 2000 support 1st or will we be able to work on the
> source ourself?

I don't know what you mean by "a port from the linux one" - this is
the standard ApplixWare product and it's not tied to Linux any more
than it's tied to FreeBSD.  If and when Applix gets Office 2000
support, I expect we'll get something newer than 4.42 to sell,
same as all their other partners.

- Jordan