Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 09:57:17 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Niklas Hallqvist: archivers/hpack.non-usa.only

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.970108125833.638B-100000@nagual.ru> =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= writes:
: F.e. gets->fgets changes: I know that FreeBSD dislike gets currently,
: but I am not shure and should constantly check OpenBSD and NetBSD too, they
: can change this policy in any time.

Can't speak for NetBSD, but OpenBSD hates it more than FreeBSD does.
Or at least there are many people in the OpenBSD community that would
yell loudly at a program using gets, more so than in the already vocal
FreeBSD community :-).

gets is evil and should never have been in the POSIX standard due to
the extreme difficulty it takes to use it correctly.  fgets is more
general and safer to use in all cases, and isn't that much more of a
hassle to use.

Warner